AMLA members collaborate to enable the development of a united approach to media literacy in Australia, to the benefit of all citizens. Our efforts focus on supporting lifelong learning especially for those who may be vulnerable to disinformation or digital exclusion.
Our primary goal is to develop and promote a government-endorsed national media literacy strategy for Australia, which will:
- State the importance of media literacy for all in society
- Articulate the achievements and challenges in the Australian context
- Provide direction for educators and curriculum development
- Raise awareness and encourage a whole-of-community response.
We will achieve this through:
- Advocacy to draw attention to the critical need for government involvement in media literacy as a national priority.
- Research to identify the priority areas to be addressed by a national media literacy strategy.
- Bringing together voices in the media literacy field to collaborate with government to identify the challenges and opportunities and to carry out the foundational work for a national strategy.
- Advocacy for investment in high quality media literacy education, the development of world-class programs and resources, and awareness-raising campaigns to alert the Australian public to this need.
- Supporting media industries to understand their impact on society and to contribute to media literacy efforts.
- Creating a network for organisations engaged in this field at all levels (local, regional, state and federal) promoting a united stance (one message, multiple voices) and opportunities to work together.